Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Can't Connect to Agent

Can't Connect to Agent

Postby Lynx » Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 am

Hello there!

Got a problem recently, a console on a local computer started to show “Can’t Connect” message to another remote installation on the same local network. Upgraded both computers to 8.2.0.25, but still same issue.
Agents Tab show status unavailable and last message “The Agent version mismatching”. That’s pretty strange, considering both are running same version 8.2.0.25. Console is able to manage local computer fine, but not the remote one. Both are Windows 7.

I can ping and connect to remote computer using other means, just not the Firewall Control panel. I noticed that Agent seems to be listening on port 50002 on both computers, however, I can only telnet to it when I am using localhost as a destination, not my computer IP and not the remote computer IP. Not sure if it is relevant, just another piece of info that might help.

Is there a way to see why console cannot connect and how to fix it?
Lynx

Re: Can't Connect to Agent

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm

> Agents Tab show status unavailable and last message “The Agent version mismatching”.

Technically the message is shown if the remote computer is pingable but not the panel connectable. It may be caused by general the panel connectivity problem, not the version mismatching only.

Did you make the remote installation with the setup's "Enable Remote Access and Control" checked. There is a sense just reinstall the program onto the remote with the option checked on-the-top. "Enable Remote Access and Control" makes a lot of things to support remote connectivity.
Or make pure (GUI-less) Agent installation in the same manner (the agent setup is located in the firewall installation folder of Network/Cloud Edition)

> I noticed that Agent seems to be listening on port 50002 on both computers, however, I can only telnet to it when I am using localhost as a destination, not my computer IP and not the remote computer IP. Not sure if it is relevant, just another piece of info that might help.

The port is remote controlling irrelevant.
The port provides the firewall METRO panel with the local connectivity.
So the connections are limited to localhost only.

>Is there a way to see why console cannot connect and how to fix it?

Typically WindowsFirewall on the remote may prevent from external connectivity.
The setup with "Enable Remote Access and Control" makes the related WF adjustment automatically, but there is a sense to check additionally (or switch WF temporary off).
The target entry is called Windows10FirewallService.

Looking forward to hear from you.

FYI All licenses are for single installation only, including Network/Cloud Edition license.
So you may not use second installation with the same license excepting trial (without registration) using
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Specific behavior