Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Close panel and System load

Close panel and System load

Postby PietO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:26 pm

General Question:

when the Control-panel is closed by purpose (i.e. the user is satisfied with all settings and not interested in controlling / monitoring) i assume that ALL event generation and processing is stopped (firewall itself stays fully functional). Is this correct? If so, what about a setting option to autostart the panel with Windows-start (Y/N) and/or Detection of new Program?
PietO

Re: Close panel and System load

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:30 am

>when the Control-panel is closed by purpose….. that ALL event generation and processing is stopped (firewall itself stays fully functional). Is this correct?

That’s not correct. If the panel is closed, the events generation/processing continue in the service. The service just does not send notifications to the (absent) panel. All the other service functionality stays intact and the panel independent.
The service may have multiple control panels connected at once, so if a panel is stopped, there are no reasons to stop gathering/processing the events for new (or the same) panel (re) connected.

>If so, what about a setting option to autostart the panel with Windows-start (Y/N) and/or Detection of new Program?

The service without the panel running scenario is rather untypical. Without the panel running you would have a very limited ability to keep your network security up to date. All the newly listed programs will be set with Settings/DefaultZone (DisableAll by the setup default) without a notice. Also if you have incorrect permission set to an application you would not be able to diagnose any related problem.
Honestly we do not see any reason to switch off the panel forcibly. Could you please clarify?
However you can disable the autostart manually anytime by deleting (or renaming) the Windows10FirewallControl key
of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby PietO » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:04 pm

VistaFirewallControl wrote:Honestly we do not see any reason to switch off the panel forcibly. Could you please clarify?

Please read my post again: i said "... Is this correct? If so, .." thus switching off the panel suggestion was only a valid option when my question was answered with "YES" but you answered "NOT correct" thus switching off the panel makes indeed no sense .
PietO

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Thank you for the clarification.
Actually if your genuine intention was the memory economizing in spite the W10FC memory footprint is low enough, you can close the panel and stop the service as well. The W10FC filtering rules are persistent, so the service running state means nothing for the filtering.
As the result, the events will not be gathered/processed. All unlisted applications will be just disabled silently.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Editor » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:46 pm

VistaFirewallControl wrote: if your genuine intention was.... [to] close the panel and stop the service.. The W10FC filtering rules are persistent, so the service running state means nothing for the filtering.

As the result, the events will not be gathered/processed. All unlisted applications will be just disabled silently.

That's a good answer, and a good question I suppose. Glad to know the filters are persistent even thought BOTH the Control Panel and Service are shut down. Is that correct?

One comment would be.. could the programmers ADD a checkbox on the pop-up when shutting down Panel (that says "Exit will not remove App.. The service is still up and running") to the effect: Do not show this Msg again. [ ] ? and/ or put a switch in the Cfg or a Registry entry to Not show the pop-up?

One of the first things I did while running the trial (nagware - Lol) was exercise shutting down the service and starting it back up in Control Panel.

-Ed
Editor

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:15 pm

> Glad to know the filters are persistent even thought BOTH the Control Panel and Service are shut down. Is that correct?

Correct.

>Do not show this Msg again. [ ] ? and/ or put a switch in the Cfg or a Registry entry to Not show the pop-up?

Does it mean you have to switch the panel on/off regularly?
Could you explain the reason please.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to What is VistaFirewallControl, features