Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Control application has serious problems with CPU usage

Control application has serious problems with CPU usage

Postby Greenday » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Hey there!
I have been testing for some time to figure out why the Firewall control program has CPU spikes, and it's weird what I found out. After a fresh installation of version 8.1.0.16, without any previous user data, anything is just fine. CPU usage is completely harmless and not really worth a mention. But after adding many entries, for example above 100, it becomes quite alarming. Every single rule contributes to increased CPU spikes by the firewall control process. In version 8.1.0.16 this happens nearly every second and is consistently distributed over all those seconds. In the newest pre-release 8.2.0.25 a huge CPU spike happens after every 10 seconds, which seems to be the "monitoring timeout is increased up to 10 secs" change.

How to fix this CPU usage? The workaround is weird and it makes the impression it's a bug within the user interface. Open up the control application and type something weird into the rule filter, for example "lol". Now the rule list is empty because there are no rule matches. And now? Strangely the CPU spikes are fixed now! Typing something into the filter and then closing the control program works fine, and it makes me think this must be just a stupid user interface bug. Because ... why does it need to use so much CPU resources with many rules when the control program isn't even visible? I guess it must be a problem in the user interface thread. But I don't know if that's really the problem and I would like to let you know that this is actually a problem, so I'm posting. Would be nice if this is fixed in the future.

I'm adding some screenshots to this post. By the way, version 7.5.100.200 isn't affected. It's the version before the user interface got redesigned. Maybe there is a relation with this problem here? It makes sense for me. Windows 7 and 10 is affected, I tested it with both Windows versions.

Thanks in advance! :)

Greenday

Re: Control application has serious problems with CPU usage

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Thank you for reporting and terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

There was a related problem in 8.1.0.16 fixed in 8.2.0.25 with 10 secs activity revealed on specific Win10 systems. We were unable to reproduce the problem, so the fix has been made without seeing. Probably it was not complete unfortunately.
Anyway there is a 10 secs background activity that is controlled by Settings/LowHDD.
Please try to check the option and inform us on the results.
The amount of the required CPU is actually program list size dependent. We will work on the solution anyway.

>In version 8.1.0.16 this happens nearly every second and is consistently distributed over all those seconds. In the newest pre-release 8.2.0.25 a huge CPU spike happens after every 10 seconds, which seems to be the "monitoring timeout is increased up to 10 secs" change.

There is set of background monitors activities: 1 sec, 10 secs, 20 secs and a set of asynchronous actions as well. Looks like 1 sec related problem was fixed in 8.2.0.25. It looked like specific and Win10 only related.

>How to fix this CPU usage? The workaround is weird and it makes the impression it's a bug within the user interface. Open up the control application and type something weird into the rule filter, for example "lol".

Thank you very much we will verify the filter related background.
The strange thing is we can’t see the same behavior at our side in spite of tried on multiple systems.

>Because ... why does it need to use so much CPU resources with many rules when the control program isn't even visible?

Generally because of the filter is just a display filter. Hidden by filter applications still receive events and the panel should accumulate statistics, take into account the running states etc

>I guess it must be a problem in the user interface thread. Would be nice if this is fixed in the future.

For sure.

>It makes sense for me. Windows 7 and 10 is affected, I tested it with both Windows versions.

We will be back on the results. Please stay tuned and meanwhile, if you see noticeable 10 secs CPU peaks, please try to check Settings/LowHDD
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Could you please check with ProcessExplorer whether there are third party ( not MS ) DLLs in the Windows10FirewallCotnrol.exe process.
We have no any third parties listed there and have no idea how to force it.
There is a reason to suspect the CPU related behavior is a third party affection.
That’s probably why we can’t reproduce the problem at our side.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Greenday » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 am

Thanks a lot for your answer! :)
It's weird because I can reliably reproduce it on my systems. I'm not sure if that's overkill, but I can upload a virtual machine with the firewall program installed on Google Drive if you like, because then it should be possible to see that bug easily.
I took some screenshots, and there are no third party modules involved. The virtual machine is clean, that means no antivirus software or whatsoever.

Image Image Image

I'm hoping it's at least a bit useful and I will try to do anything that might help you to find the cause of that problem.
Greenday

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

>I'm not sure if that's overkill, but I can upload a virtual machine with the firewall program installed on Google Drive if you like, because then it should be possible to see that bug easily.

Splendid, actually if it’s possible, it would be the best way to move forward.
What is the VM type, Vmware, hypervisor something else?

Please upload the vm. The link should be sent privately most probably, so please use PM or send the link to support (referring the thread).

Thanks a lot!
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Please try 8.2.0.29 (the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html)
Honestly there was no such CPU load (as you reported) on the VM,
but there was definitely something to catch at, so the CPU consumption is decreased significantly now.
Please try and report on the results.
Thank you very much for the assistance!
It would be really hard to fix the problem without your participation.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Greenday » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Hey, I'm terribly sorry for my late response. So far I have been testing it in some Windows 10 virtual machines which I'm using daily, and it looks really good so far! These massive CPU spikes are clearly not there anymore and massively reduced. Leaving the control window open seems to use slightly more CPU resources compared to an opened window with a text in the search filter, but the difference is so low now that it's an amazing improvement and absolutely better than before. Especially when the control window isn't open. I'm still testing it and will also update one of my main systems in the next days and will let you know when I'm spotting something suspicious. But so far it seems pretty good. Thank you as well! :)

Greenday

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm

>So far I have been testing it in some Windows 10 virtual machines which I'm using daily, and it looks really good so far! These massive CPU spikes are clearly not there anymore and massively reduced.

Might it be supposed that the problem is fixed.

>Leaving the control window open seems to use slightly more CPU resources compared to an opened window with a text in the search filter, but the difference is so low now that it's an amazing improvement and absolutely better than before.

If the panel is running the windows state should be irrelevant.
Actually if the window is closed it’s just made hidden, no resources are linked to the window visibility.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Specific behavior