Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Expensive/Insecure Mode Notifications

Expensive/Insecure Mode Notifications

Postby metal450 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 am

Regarding the Expensive/Insecure mode, my thoughts were that would be perfect for while my PC is tethered to my cellphone. I’d change to that mode to effectively block everything, then just mark the one or two programs I need to use as "allowed," thus restricting data usage to the absolute minimum necessary.

However, I found that the moment I change to that mode, I start getting tons of notifications. I thought this might be a bug, as it seems to me like the purpose would be so you could toggle to that mode & work normally with just a few allowed apps - but not being notified about all the other apps that are being blocked.
metal450

Re: Expensive/Insecure Mode Notifications

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 am

>I start getting tons of notifications.

Accordingly to the massive blocking caused by the mode.

>would be so you could toggle to that mode & work normally with just a few allowed apps

Without the blocked events how you could determine those “few apps” allowed are not enough and there is a "service" has to be enabled as well to support those “few apps”
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 am

>>Without the blocked events how you could determine those “few apps” allowed are not enough and there is a "service" has to be enabled as well to support those “few apps”

So let's say I need to tether to my phone to check something online. I'd switch to Expensive/Insecure mode, allow only Chrome, then begin tethering. I could then use Chrome with everything else silently blocked. Or maybe I just need to check my e-mail - I'd switch to the mode, only allow Outlook, then begin tethering & using Outlook, etc.

If every connection attempt from the system continuously pops up a notice, how could one use that mode to get anything done...? Isn't the purpose to allow just a few explicit things, & everything else not be allowed through while you use those few?
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:45 pm

>If every connection attempt from the system continuously pops up a notice, how could one use that mode to get anything done...? Isn't the purpose to allow just a few explicit things, & everything else not be allowed through while you use those few?

So the problem is in the blocking or in the notifications of the blocking only?
We are discussing notifications only. Right?
Notifications can be useful when a program you would like to allow consists of 2+parts.
Imagine you enabled for the mode only one (say so) UI part, the second part of the same program is disabled.
When you switch to the mode the program just would not work and with silent blocking you would never know what second part has to be allowed as well.

So probably the problem is not in the blocked events themselves but rather in massive (repeated in volume) blocked events. We have a related feature scheduled.
The question is still how to make the number of events minimal but to keep the rest events meaningful to be used to reconsider permissions if required.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 pm

>>We are discussing notifications only. Right?

Yes, only discussing the notifications.

>>Imagine you enabled for the mode only one (say so) UI part, the second part of the same program is disabled.

Sure, but I would argue that:
1) In general, this is the minority of cases, not the majority - and the Firewall's behavior would best suited to reflect the more common scenario, not the less common one. For instance, in my programs list there are only a very small handful among dozens of applications that behave in this way.
2) Probably you usually use the software in "Normal" mode, so you've already handled notifications for each app once, and you therefore have some idea of what's required.
3) Even if you don't still recall what's required, when you're looking in the Programs list for what to allow for this Metered session, you're likely to see all the entries related to that program which would remind you to unblock them all.
4) Even if you don't recall, and you don't notice in the program list, if something isn't working you can still always use the Events pane to figure out what's going on.

>>So probably the problem is not in the blocked events themselves but rather in massive (repeated in volume) blocked events.

To be honest, in this case I'd still strongly prefer just none at all, for the reasons described. If I know that all I want to use is Chrome or Outlook, I don't need any notification of something else the system is trying to do - I'm sure it's trying to do plenty, but my purpose in using this mode is to quietly discard all traffic except the specific desired apps. In the rare case that it doesn't work as expected I can always pop over to the Event pane to figure it out.
metal450

Return to Specific behavior