Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Feature Request: Protocol Filtering in the Events Panel

Feature Request: Protocol Filtering in the Events Panel

Postby NoelC » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:09 pm

After using the product for some months, I can say that there have been some occasions where I'd really like to just see TCP activity in the Events panel.

I thought, intuitively, that perhaps entering TCP in the Filter box might facilitate just that - but it did not.

Please consider expanding the Filter operation to work on the entire text, from all the fields.

I can think of a few other ways that extending the Filter operation to all the fields might be helpful in general. For example, if one is concerned specifically with connections to 173.205.x.x one could just filter for the first parts of the address.

If you're worried that folks who already use it would be confused or limited by such a change, perhaps you could add a checkbox that would restrict the Filter operation to just the Program Name field, as it is now.

Thank you for considering this request!

-Noel
NoelC

Re: Feature Request: Protocol Filtering in the Events Panel

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Thank you for the reasonable suggestion.

>If you're worried that folks who already use it would be confused or limited by such a change, perhaps you could add a checkbox that would restrict the Filter operation to just the Program Name field, as it is now.

We believe just “searching in all columns” would be simplest in the implementation, for the start at least.....
You can use sorting by the Event Address column as well. As the protocol name is displayed first, you can group the events by protocol.
Please stay tuned.

As an immediate solution we could offer you importing the access.log files into a spreadsheet (Excel, OpenOffice etc) using “|” as the field separator.
You will be able to check all the saved events, not just last 2000 ones cached in the service.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Protocol Filtering in the Events Panel

Postby NoelC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:50 am

By the way, this works great in the beta - thank you very much. Just type in TCP and voila, I see only the TCP comms, which is where most of the interesting things happen.

Super helpful - thanks again.

-Noel
NoelC

Return to Remote/Network/Cloud protection