Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

How to add IPv6 address without typing it in?

How to add IPv6 address without typing it in?

Postby sp4096 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 am

If under a disable+Prompt regime I get this in the alert how do i add something like this multicast job when the only buttons on the program dialog are for IPv4
IPv6 UDP [ff02::c]:3702(59693)
It's an inbound packet. I'll probably want to block it both in and out, but that's simple in the app zone dialog for dashost.exe.
(I sometimes need the SSDP and uPnP pair of services to be on. (I hate'm but that's OT)).
sp4096

Re: How to add IPv6 address without typing it in?

Postby PietO » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 am

sp4096 wrote:(I sometimes need the SSDP and uPnP pair of services to be on. (I hate'm but that's OT)).

Indeed; they contribute to a lot of additional, most of the time not needed, svchost traffic. I'm forced as well by stupid Canon-camera software to transfer images via network.
PietO

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Via Events/the related event/RightClick/Manage….
Zone by-rule accumulation is not a good practice, but it’s possible though
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:20 am

Just curious, why do you say rule accumulation isn't good practice? That's more or less what I've been doing, using Disable-And-Prompt to see what each app needs, & "accumulating" specific allows/blocks as needed, until there are no more prompts...
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 am

WxFC supports the accumulation based scenario in full as well, so the choice is yours solely.
But the (potentially) big set of per-IP rules would be hardly manageable.

Imagine, you receive the prompt, and enable it. Receive the next and enable it as well.
You hardly investigate in full every IP received in the prompt. Right?
If so you most probably enable everything requested. But honestly, it’s equal to EnableAll.
If you set EnableAll right away, you will just not be disturbed for every per-IP decision.

The reverse approach, i.e. Prompt and disable, prompt and disable, is effectively equal to applying DisableAll in advance. And again you just would not be disturbed for a set of per-IP decisions.

WxFC just offers you a more smart approach, think once, make a permission related decision and apply the proper zone. It just offers you to make your security policy consistent.
Per-IP enabling only is equal to EnableAll.
Per-IP disabling only is equal to DisableAll.
A mix of enabling/disabling rules for an application could be hardly a sign of a consistent security policy. It’s rather a sign that an application network behavior rules you, the firewall is intended to make you ruling the applications, not vice versa

> until there are no more prompts...

Due to dynamic IP nature, cloud (mutable IP) services etc, the process may be endless, so the previous per-IP rules would just lose the sense.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Specific behavior