Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

How to intercept in-direct (!) calls to Internet via browser

How to intercept in-direct (!) calls to Internet via browser

Postby pstein » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:22 am

It occurs occasionally that programs connect to Internet not directly but in-directly by using a local browser.

So when I click e.g. the "About" menu and box of program myprgm123.exe then there is oftentimes a link "Visit Homepage".
When I click this link then the default local browser (e.g. Firefox) is called and the URL of the Developers webpage is passed (possibly with secret information as parameter).

How can intercept and prevent these indirect Internet calls?

Can I somehow define a rule. "Whenever a program calls firefox.exe" prompt me for permission"?

Peter
pstein

Re: How to intercept in-direct (!) calls to Internet via bro

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:32 am

>the Developers webpage is passed (possibly with secret information as parameter).

There hardly could be a secret passed without an evident sign.
There are only two ways to pass a data to a site: in the link directly (typically) and as the cookies.
The both entities are under your control with browser settings.

>How can intercept and prevent these indirect Internet calls?

By firewalling the browser.

>Can I somehow define a rule.

The firewall does not control applications launching, it controls applications network activity.
As the connection “generator” is browser in that case, the program with the “about” link is irrelevant.

>"Whenever a program calls firefox.exe" prompt me for permission"?

By settings Disable+Prompt as the Zone-for-firefox Result. (Plus Edition and above)
The +prompt logic is the following.
The firewall analyzes the zone’s rules first (from bottom to top),
If none of the rules was matched, the arbitration drops to the ZoneResult where “+Prompt” acts.
So eliminate globally enabling rules in the zone and you will be prompted as you wish.

There is a sense to notice that in spite of the scenario above is feasible, it’s generally impractical.
You will effectively have to compose too many by-site rules to implement the scenario.
Such amount of rules would be hard to manage.
Needless to say the mentioned risk is not especially important.
It’s not a typical way to grab unwanted personal information from you, it’s too explicit.
Moreover the firewall target is controlling the network (especially background) activity, not the actions made by you evidently.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Specific behavior