Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Metro/WindowsStore/Tiles application

Metro/WindowsStore/Tiles application

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Windows8FirewallControl application for Metro/WindowsStore/Tiles

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/windows8firewallpanel/0199bb14-197b-4634-bc40-5dcca83fb597

Important notes:
-Windows8FirewallControl 6.0.7 (or above) is required for the application operability. The application is just a panel to control the applications permissions, all the security operations are performed by the main Windows8FirewallControl for desktop (regular) program.
The application is not available via WindowsStore at the moment, but can be installed directly.
The direct (side) loading requires Free developer/testing license for the installation. The license is Free but has to be explicitly obtained from Microsoft directly. The installer asks you to create/use existing(if any) Microsoft account to obtain/install the free license.

How to:
- Download/unzip the file.
- Open the unzipped content with WindowsExplorer
- RightClick Add-AppDevPackage.ps1 and choose “Run with PowerShell
- The PowerShell script will install the metro application properly, please just accept all the suggested answers for the questions during the installation.
Note : During the installation Windows8FirewallControl may detect various native Windows applications network access requests. The firewall makes usable suggestions regarding the proper permissions to be set.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Re: Metro/WindowsStore/Tiles application

Postby Devilcry4u » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Works ok. I always wondered how to get the tiles to update, cool. I take this will be integrated with the next release of Firewall Control?
Devilcry4u

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

>I always wondered how to get the tiles to update

Might we explain how it works generally?
There are formally two ways to install metro/tiles applications.
The first one is so called WindowsStore, the special Microsoft site to distribute metro applications developed by Microsoft and other vendors. Any Windows8 includes WindowsStore dedicated helper application preinstalled; the application is responsible for installing/checking for updates and updating the other applications. We are going to publish Windows8FirewallPanel metro application to WindowsStore eventually. WindowsStore, in other to publish third party (non-microsoft) applications, advances a lot of strict technical claims. We are working to satisfy all the requirements. After the job is done, Windows8FirewallPanel will be available via WindowsStore.
The second way is so called side-loading, i.e. installing metro applications independently, beyond WindowsStore. We have to follow that way before Windows8FirewallPanel is submitted to WindowsStore. The way has a lot of limitations to force all the developers to distribute their applications via WindowsStore only. Formally side-loading is generally treated as a way for public testing of metro applications or a way to distribute non-public corporate programs inside a corporation. That is why side-loading requires obtaining the limited developer license. The license is free, requires Microsoft registration and works for a month only. After the license is expired it can be re-obtained for the next month for free again though.

>I take this will be integrated with the next release of Firewall Control?

Most probably, as Windows8FirewallPanel will be available via WindowsStore finally, and WindowsStore is generally metro (not desktop) applications store, the desktop application release will be separate. There is technically just no way to publish at WindowsStore the desktop and the metro program as a single entity.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Devilcry4u » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 pm

This is one of the things I really do not like about Windows 8 in general. Microsoft are trying to make the OS to be more like Google's. The fact that you have to have a Microsoft account to even use the Windows Store is something I do not like. Currently I'm not using any live titles, only the applications I've downloaded appear on the Metro UI. I use a local profile, which has been the case for all Windows versions prior to Windows 8. I don't like the idea of having to use a Microsoft account and having a 'always on' desktop feature. This isn't your fault I might add.
Devilcry4u

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm

>Microsoft are trying to make the OS to be more like Google's.

Apple’s istore was the first actually. However, neither Google nor Apple does not practically prohibit installing third party applications beyond the main store. So you always have a choice.
Side loading may be not so simple, may require tweaking the system settings to enable the side loading, but the process is still user friendly and free.
With WindowsStore there is no documented side loading prohibition, but the process is too complex/questioable (side loading with the need of developer license) or extremely expensive (corporate side loading requires special paid license from Microsoft), about $30/year per every application.
If you are curious here is the independent estimation
http://www.lhotka.net/weblog/CostToEnab ... evice.aspx

>I don't like the idea of having to use a Microsoft account and having a 'always on' desktop feature. This isn't your fault I might add.

Well, we hardly can say “hey progress, stop, you are already beautiful”, So we would have to eventually accept the rules of the “game”.
However the firewall helps to arrange a compromise.
If the an account related demand is a must, the account can be created, but all the subsequent activity can be blocked by the firewall. So the privacy can be protected.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Devilcry4u » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 pm

I did noticed a couple of Windows Store rules that defaulted to block all, which were privacy related.

You guys do an amazing job with the Firewall, which is the reason I have been using it for 2 years. :)
Devilcry4u

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:18 pm

>I did noticed a couple of Windows Store rules that defaulted to block all, which were privacy related.

In WindowsFirewall, right?
There is lot of metro container (subsystem) related rules in WindowsFirewall and even there are some related rules unavailable via WindowsFirewall, the rules are injected directly in WindowsFilteringPlatform (the network security core). However all those rules are not intended to protect the privacy directly. The rules just block the communication between metro apps ans desktop apps on the same machine, the rules do not block the internet.
If you meant a specific rule, please share the information with us. We would be curious to gather all the metro related specifics.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Devilcry4u » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:54 pm

I ended up uninstalling after an hour or so, just to test it out. Having just installed again. Once point to note is that you don't need to sign with a Microsoft account for a second time when installing the Powershell script for Windows Store.
Devilcry4u

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 am

Actually exactly so. The script installs the panel and obtains the developer license simultaneously. After the panel is uninstalled, the developer license stays intact, as the panel uninstallation is performed by means of Windows core, not by means of the script.
The license can be managed separately with PowerShell
Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration (to (re)obtain the license)
Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense (to check the license)
Unregister-WindowsDeveloperLicense (to remote the license)
We should notice again that the developer license is valid during 1 month only. That is pure Microsoft limitation.
Without the valid license the panel can not be launched. So after a month the license has to be acquired again.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Devilcry4u » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am

Host Process for Setting Synchronization, SkyDrive Sync Engine Host. Are both defaulting to disable all by default. Which is good.
Devilcry4u

Next

Return to What is VistaFirewallControl, features