Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Portable Plus version and Licensing

Portable Plus version and Licensing

Postby dpmcalli » Tue May 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi again,

Im currently using the installed Plus version at home but am considering using the portable version instead. If I use the portable version would I be able to run it from a USB stick on my work and Home PC with my license key (It would only ever be used on one PC at a time)? Or would it deactivate when used on another PC?

It seems that the per PC licensing means that the portable plus version isnt really that portable since it can seemingly only be used on one pc.

Thanks
dpmcalli

Re: Portable Plus version and Licensing

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu May 03, 2012 9:25 am

Actually all the versions are licensed per installation media.
Desktop/Server (regular) versions are typically installed on a fixed media. So "per installation media" is practically equal to "per PC" licensing. Actually you hardly would like to have multiple W7FC installations on different disks of the same PC. (excepting a virtualized environment maybe)

The Portable version can be installed anywhere, including fixed disks (what is senseless though).
Installing the portable version on a USB stick you have to license the installation for the stick.
After that, the portable version is legal while connected to any PC, as the version is licensed per the portable USB media.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby dpmcalli » Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply, thats great news. Seems I misunderstood the licensing for the portable version.

Good to hear I can carry it round and use it wherever I have my usb disk :)
dpmcalli

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu May 03, 2012 10:42 am

There is a technical note, however.
W7FC (obviously) protects the system while it is running only.
A desktop/server installation is based on the related system service. The service starts with the system and starts protecting right from the boot, even before user login.

The portable version can be (technically) started only after user login and probably after some other applications that can’t be controlled till W7FC starts.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Free vs. Plus -- VFC vs. Windows built-in firewall