Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Guide Needed for Initial Server 2008 Setup

Guide Needed for Initial Server 2008 Setup

Postby MACK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:03 am

Installing on Windows Server 2008 using Active Directory on domain network. Purpose of server is to act as SQL db server for several clients.

1. We would like to allow client to communicate only with server thru one client application that connects to SQL Server.

After install on Server, I am prompted what account user to allow FireWallControl.

2. Is Administrator account acceptable on Server? Is there a recommended best choice?

(I plan to re-install for testing)... so I test with Administrator account.
After installation, I am flooded with 10 or 20 requests.

3. Can you provide basic lists of "normal" or "expected" programs/services that will be needed to be given full access for Active Directory Services to run properly using Domain Network?
(better would be what type of access as well.)

4. I currently have a list of ports that I need to open for SQL (1433,1434,4022,135,2383,443) and possibly some others... If I uses Netsh to add these ports Prior to installation of Firewall control, will firewall respect these old rules?

5. Currently there is a list of Blocked Requests. Is it possible to have log of "allowed" traffic?

Thank you.
MACK

Re: Guide Needed for Initial Server 2008 Setup

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:05 pm

>After install on Server, I am prompted what account user to allow FireWallControl.>
2. Is Administrator account acceptable on Server? Is there a recommended best choice?

Depends in your policy. The purpose is to limit the firewall control panel accessibility.
If you can guarantee only trusted persons can access the server, you can use even Everyone.
We believe Administrators group (or Administrator account) is the most suitable choice.

>(I plan to re-install for testing)... so I test with Administrator account.
>After installation, I am flooded with 10 or 20 requests.

W7FC started detecting internet active applications. After an application is listed and set with a reasonable permission, W7FC will not disturb you any more regarding the application.

>3. Can you provide basic lists of "normal" or "expected" programs/services that will be needed to be given full access for Active Directory Services to run properly using Domain Network?
(better would be what type of access as well.)

Unfortunately, we can not provide with the strict list. The recommendations varies depending on your security policy first of all.

>4. I currently have a list of ports that I need to open for SQL (1433,1434,4022,135,2383,443) and possibly some others... If I uses Netsh to add these ports Prior to installation of Firewall control, will firewall respect these old rules?

WindowsFirewall and W7FC work completely independently.
So you can block unwanted activity at any level. We just believe W7FC offers more suitable options to manage the complex settings.

>5. Currently there is a list of Blocked Requests. Is it possible to have log of "allowed" traffic?

We expect allowed traffic logging in the next (probably Windows8 related) version.
The version will work on Vista/W7/2008 as well.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Remote/Network/Cloud protection