Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

which blocking type

which blocking type

Postby block » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:47 am

Hello,
if I install a new programm - which blocking type should I use that the necessary communications between the program and the internet do work?
Normally I use "enable all". But I guess that is too much and not necessary and my system is wide open with "enable all".
Don´t know what all features under "zone" mean. Should I take "ftp Zone"?
Bye
block

Re: which blocking type

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:34 am

The zone adviser automatically suggests a compromise (typically) enabling zone to the program detection popup. So you can just confirm the suggested zone.
If the adviser is not able to make a suggestion basing on the initial detected network access attempt of the application, the suggestion is the default zone (Settings/DefaultZone)

>Normally I use "enable all". But I guess that is too much and not necessary and my system is wide open with "enable all".

Actually not the entire system, just the current application.
Typically, if the application is trusted and the network permissions are to be done finally, EnablelAll is not the unsafe choice. Otherwise you will have to investigate specific activities of the program and create (potentially complex) custom zone.

If you can disclose the program name we could try to answer more precisely.

The zones are named to reflect program purpose. E.g WebBrowser zone is for Web browsers. LanOnly for strict in-LAN networking etc. You can try to choose the most proper zone from the list (uncheck “Show advised…” in EditProgram dialog to see all the available zones) on by-name basis.

Alternatively you can use x.x.x.x/y buttons of the detection prompt and enabling the application step by step, by every requested activity. If the application network “appetite” is not huge (the application is not a peer-to-peer client or a web bowser, for instance), the application will stop issuing new activity types eventually and you will finally have very strict zone for the application.

>Don´t know what all features under "zone" mean. Should I take "ftp Zone"?

The zone consists of the rules, basic permissions to enable/disable specific activities.
The rules are named accordingly to the rule purpose. E.g. FTPCommand rule of FTPzone is intended to enable FTP protocol commands passing. So you would have to have some protocol related skills to understand every rule functionality.

Honestly you are asking the most complex question. The strict answer depends on your security policy in connection with the program and on the program specifics.

If you have a specific question please do not hesitate to contact us
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby block » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 am

Hi,
thanks for your feedback.
I fear the answer is too komplex for me. At one side the technical things itself and on the other side my poor english.
What I need to know for example are the zone settings for my (purchased) Adobe Creative Suite or my CAD application Cinema4d etc..
But what I red in your feed back is - Enable All for that applications is the right choice.

Cheers
block

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:03 am

Most probably the mentioned applications use internet for updates checking only.
The updates are typically performed via http (web) protocol, so WebBrowserZone should be enough. Please try.
If you accidentally see a related blocking notification, please provide us with the details.
We will try to assist further.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby block » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 am

OK. Thanks. I´ll try that suggestion.

Last - if I install free ware with a downloaded .exe - and while the installation process the firewallcontrol comes up - should I use the "WebBrowserZone" also?
block

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:02 am

The free version functionality is limited, so there are only EnableAll and DisableAll mostly available.
All the other zone related options are offered in the Plus/Network/Cloud version only.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby block » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am

I guess I expressed myself wrong.
With free ware I did not mean the free version of your firewall. I purchased the firewall allready.
I meant that if I want to install an other free software which want to communicate with "atHome" while installation process. Which zone settings should I use?
block

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The strict answer depends on application “phoning home”.
Most probably and typically the application uses web (http) protocol to implement such actions.
So WebBrowserZone should be enough, if you actually would like to enable the activity.
If something goes wrongs with the activity, please trace the application related blocking notifications and add more permissions if required, or use EnableAll.
Anyway WebBrowserZone is the most reasonable zone to start with.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby block » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks a lot for that very sympathic and constructive conversation. I guess now I´m through.
Bye
block

Return to My App is blocked, What to do