Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Questions about Behaviours (Bugs?)

The product edition for XP, 2003, 2000

Questions about Behaviours (Bugs?)

Postby darkrats » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:17 am

I was happy to see a version for XP, but have found two things that are bothering me:

1) When you first start an application (ex: Outlook Express) it's blocked until you Enable All. But then you have to restart the application before it is allowed to repeat the attempt. It would be nice if you could enable the application and then have it continue to follow through with its connection without being restarted.

2) When I try to add an application from within the firewall program, I am unable to browse to the .exe file. It starts at my user folder and I can navigate back out to "my computer", but when I click on that, I only see a blank window so I am unable to browse to any of the other folders, such as "program files".

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.
darkrats

Re: Questions about Behaviours (Bugs?)

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:45 pm

1)Any initial access attempt of unlisted application is blocked.
The behavior is equal in all W7FC Editions.
After the initial blocking the applications are set with the default zone (the Settings pane) immediately, and then W7FC prompts for the user decision.
So if you would like to alter the default setting you can use the Settings pane.
However the initial blocking takes place anyway, W7FC doesn’t wait for the user decision and doesn’t suspend the connection.
We tried to implement the waiting/suspending feature in a previous version but excluded the feature rapidly. The problem is in ambiguity of maximum timeout to wait, default action should be taken after the timeout exhausted and potentially irresolvable problem if application issues multiple/huge connection attempts before the firewall timeout exhausted.
Fortunately the problem happens only once per application. After the application is listed it follows the zone set.

2) The problem is XP specific solely. The XP’s fileopen related resources (the standard windows feature) are not operable in full in specific environments.
The problem is linked with so called shell links (MyComputer/MyNetworkPlaces/etc) only.
However if you type C:\ directly avoiding the shell links usage you will be able to access ProgramFiles directly.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to XP Edition