Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Antivirus

Antivirus

Postby Jacare » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi,

I installed Windows 8 Firewall Control Plus and it doens't work with AVG Antivirus 2014 (Grisoft). In the help document, they recommend to disable the antivirus. After I did that, Windows 8 Firewall Control worked well. Has somedbody a good experience with a free Antivirus, that works WITH Windows 8 Firewall Control ? Which one you should recommend me?

Thanks for the help,

Jacare
Jacare

Re: Antivirus

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Actually W8FC works with any antivirus perfectly.
There is no strict recommendation to disable antivirus entirely.
Maybe there is a sense to disable the AV online monitoring feature (if any) only.
Otherwise you should take into account a specific described in “Web browser set with LanOnly can connect worldwide.” of http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html.

So, if the AV finds a threat in W8FC you would have to add an exception to the AV.
Also you have to set EnableAll to the AV related services.
The services (with online monitoring switched on) catch all the applications traffic and reissue the traffic in the name of the AV services. So to enable applications (especially web and e-mail ones) the AV must be enabled in the firewall programs list.
Also you should take into account that the applications (with AV online monitoring) communicate with the AV service directly via the local network (instead of real internet destinations). So any application connecting to localhost (127.0.0.1) interface actually can connect worldwide. The firewall specific is the localhost connections are expected safe and so enabled by the firewall by default. As the result you should take care of the applications you would like to prevent from worldwide connections by excluding localhost (127.0.0.1) from the list of enabled rules.

If you can specify the details of your security policy, i.e. what applications you would like to permit to access the internet with AV online monitoring, we could assist you with the proper firewall configuration.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby Jacare » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 pm

hi,

thanks forvthe answer. I think that I was not able to explain my problem. When I first installed W8FC, there was no programm at the tab Programm, blocked, etc. The W8FC didn't recognise no internet traffic. Than I disabled de AV (the AV-firewall makes no difference). After I disabled thev AV protection, the W8FC started to find all the conections and the pop-up window with to choose what to do appears. If I enable the AV, the W8FC finds no programm/connection again.

what should I do? Did you tested W8FC with AVG Internet 2014?

Thanks,

Jacare
Jacare

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Just tried W8FC with AVG Internet 2014 on Win7 32-bit.
Everything worked fine.
There was no need to even take into account W8FC+AV related specifics.

Actually after W8FC installation the programs list is empty and W8FC starts detecting programs.
Could you make a simple experiment just to realize the problem in full.
Delete Internet Explorer (if any) from the programs list, switch on AVG (if it was switched off previously), launch Internet Explorer, navigate it to a site and verify whether Internet Explorer is detected/listed by W8FC.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Installation/Deinstallation