Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

How to prevent (temporarily) WFC from starting at boot

How to prevent (temporarily) WFC from starting at boot

Postby pbb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 am

I am running the free version of WFC on a 64bit Windows 8 machine.

I would like to suspend its use temporarily ( i.e. prevent it loading at startup) without uninstalling it.

I have looked in the normal places to do this (Start Menu, registry start-up entries and Task Scheduler), but there are no WFC entries that I can see.

Can someone help, please?

Thank you
pbb

Re: How to prevent (temporarily) WFC from starting at boot

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

W7FC consists of 2 parts the control panel and the service.
The control panel is started from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
To prevent the panel from autoloading you could alter the Windows7FirewallControl parameter to any non-existent (mistaken) path.
However stopping the panel doesn’t stop the protection. The panel is responsible for altering the filtering rules, detecting new network active programs and displaying the blocking notifications only, the filtering is persistent.

The service (after stopping the panel) can be stopped by Windows7FirewallControl service in
MyComputer/RightClick/Manage/Services.
The autostart can be prevented by changing the service properties from “autostart” to “manual”
However stopping the service doesn’t remove the filtering as well. The rules are persistent and saved in the system network core directly (excepting XP Edition). With the service stopped you will lose just the ability to detect new network active applications and a set of supplemental functions, the new applications will be just blocked unconditionally.

If you do need (for a reason) to remove the filtering as well, you would have to uninstall W7FC entirely though.

If you describe the genuine intention of stopping W7FC at system startup most probably we would be able to make a better solution
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby pbb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the prompt and detailed reply.

As an alternative, is there any way to un-install WFC, such that its settings are preserved and a re-install can incorporate them easily?

I don't have any compelling reason to do this - I simply wanted to switch off WFC and run only with Windows 'Advanced' Firewall for a period of time.

Thank you

pbb
pbb

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

>As an alternative, is there any way to un-install WFC, such that its settings are preserved and a re-install can incorporate them easily?

-Start/Programs/Windows7FirewallControl/Export settings
-keep the file with the exported settings outside of the W7FC installation folder
-uninstall

When you decide to install W7FC back
-install
-Start/Programs/Windows7FirewallControl/Import settings
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby pbb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Thank you - I will simply do that.

pbb
pbb

Postby niko-las » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 am

I've also been thinking of temporarily deactivating W7FC. I've been using AVG 2014 as my AV and recently received an offer for their Internet Security suite, which includes their firewall. I am happy with W7FC and the granular control it provides. I doubt AVG Firewall will offer the same amount of control, therefore I am sure I will go back to W7FC. However, I would not mind testing AVG Firewall, even if it was for a few days - hence the reason why I thought of deactivating W7FC temporarily, rather than uninstalling and then reinstalling it. I was thinking of disabling the W7FC service and disabling the control panel from start-up using autoruns. However, according to your quote below, it sounds like this is not a viable solution.

stopping the service doesn’t remove the filtering as well. The rules are persistent and saved in the system network core directly (excepting XP Edition).

Does the quote above also apply even if the Windows 7 Firewall is also deactivated? Apparently, AVG Firewall will deactivate W7 Firewall when it gets installed.

With the service stopped you will lose just the ability to detect new network active applications and a set of supplemental functions, the new applications will be just blocked unconditionally.

Are the new applications blocked unconditionally because the default zone for initially detected applications is "DisableAll"? What if I changed the default zone to "EnableAll"? Will this ensure new apps are not blocked?

Apologies for making it seem like I am asking you to repeat yourself. It appears that temporarily deactivating W7FC is not a solution, but I thought I'd ask these questions just in case there is a way around it. I would rather not uninstall W7FC if possible, because I'm fairly confident I will reinstall it again after a few days. I'm happy to uninstall/reinstall W7FC if this is the only viable method. Please confirm.

One other question - regarding re-installation: The FAQ section states "Re-registration is required after upgrade or re-installation onto a different media". Now, if I had to re-install W7FC, which will be on the same hard-drive, does this mean Re-registration is not required? I recalled when I updated W7FC in the past, I re-registered the product and it produced a different registration code. But since I am not updating W7FC and it will get re-installed on the same hard-drive, should I just take note of the registration code and paste it back into the "Registration code" field after re-installation? Would this work? Or do I need to re-register again (re-enter Lic code and click online to re-register), which I think will produce a new registration code? I noticed this question had been answered on various previous threads, but some of the answers appear to be a little contradictory to the FAQ.

Many Thanks,
niko-las

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 am

>>stopping the service doesn’t remove the filtering as well. The rules are persistent and saved in >>the system network core directly (excepting XP Edition).

>Does the quote above also apply even if the Windows 7 Firewall is also deactivated? >Apparently, AVG Firewall will deactivate W7 Firewall when it gets installed.

The built-in Windows Firewall works completely independently.
WxFC rules are persistent anyway.
If do not have a strong reason to remove all the firewall rules you can easily switch the firewall off by TrayIcon/RightClick/Mode:EnableAll. All the rules will be preserved but (virtually) switched off by a first-priority enablimg-all rule set by the mode.

>>With the service stopped you will lose just the ability to detect new network active >>applications and a set of supplemental functions, the new applications will be just blocked >>unconditionally.

>Are the new applications blocked unconditionally because the default zone for initially detected >applications is "DisableAll"? What if I changed the default zone to "EnableAll"? Will this >ensure new apps are not blocked?

The newly detected apps will be blocked anyway.
Actually the default zone rule is applied _after_ the detection, but the detection is made by a hidden low priority disabling rule. Listed applications zones are set with a bit higher priority, so the listed apps permissions override the detection disabling rule. For unlisted (not detected yet) applications the disabling rule takes precedence.

>Apologies for making it seem like I am asking you to repeat yourself. It appears that >temporarily deactivating W7FC is not a solution, but I thought I'd ask these questions just in >case there is a way around it. I would rather not uninstall W7FC if possible, because I'm fairly >confident I will reinstall it again after a few days. I'm happy to uninstall/reinstall W7FC if this >is the only viable method. Please confirm.

The “deactivating” is too foggy definition for the actions you are planning.
All the deactivation related workarounds are rather incomplete, would take more time and require more actions from you.
We are under impression that Tray/RightClick/Mode:EnableAll would be enough for your experiments.
Otherwise, exporting settings and uninstalling would be required.
However, please do not worry. The installation back and importing the rules back could be performed within several seconds.

> "Re-registration is required after upgrade or re-installation onto a different media". Now, if I >had to re-install W7FC, which will be on the same hard-drive, does this mean Re-registration is not required?

Formally re-installation is removing + installing back.
The removing deletes the registration code from the computer alongside with the program itself.
You can manually backup the registration code and use for the installed back program without a hassle.
Anyway the online registration process is nearly instant and easy. You can use the (re) registration as is as well. The license can be set to the program with copy/paste and single click produces the result. You should worry about the re-registartion.
The (re) registration is required after upgrade and/or installation onto a different media.
The same version installed on the same media should produce just the same registration code.
If you have any doubts please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to assist.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby niko-las » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:36 am

Thank you for your very detailed explanation :)

Since AVG Firewall will deactivate Windows Firewall upon installation (I'm assuming it will also deactivate WFP), I think it will be best that I uninstall W7FC and then re-install it after my experiments. It seems like this approach might be the cleanest and reduces the possibility of any complications.

I assume when you export settings, this saves all control panel settings and all existing firewall rules?

You can manually backup the registration code and use for the installed back program without a hassle

Just to make sure I completely understand your quote above, I believe you mean I can make note of the registration code (eg, to a txt file) and then paste it back into the "Registration code" field when I install W7FC again? Therefore, you would not need to click on the "Register" button. Is my understanding correct?

The same version installed on the same media should produce just the same registration code

Thank you for clarifying the above. I guess I was just a little paranoid after upgrading a minor version in the past (5.1.xx.xx to 5.2.18.33), which resulted in a new registration code after I re-registered using the online method. There were no issues as a result of the new registration code, but it was just in my thoughts that maybe something went wrong. Offcourse, nothing was wrong - this was just a case of paranoia.

I appreciate your support. Vielen Dank !!
niko-las

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

>Since AVG Firewall will deactivate Windows Firewall upon installation (I'm assuming it will also deactivate WFP),

WFP (implemented actually as BFE service) is a different entity, so deactivating (treating the wording as is) WF should not affect BFE.
On the other hand, WxFC stores its rules in BFE finally. So even if BFE is deactivated all the WxFC rules will be deactivated accordingly and so there is no need to separately remove the rules.
The above is only reasoning however.

>I assume when you export settings, this saves all control panel settings and all existing firewall rules?

Exactly.

>Just to make sure I completely understand your quote above, I believe you mean I can make >note of the registration code (eg, to a txt file) and then paste it back into the "Registration code" >field when I install W7FC again? Therefore, you would not need to click on the "Register" >button. Is my understanding correct?

You do not need to click the Online button. The Register button has to be clicked however.
The register button does not cause any online operations; it just stores the code inside the program. (The Close click exits the dialog ignoring all the input data)

>The same version installed on the same media should produce just the same registration code

Please do not worry regarding the extra registration. Your license is perpetual for the purchased version. You can re-register the installation anytime without a hassle. You just may not have multiple installations with the same license code.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby niko-las » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Perfectly understood :)

Thank You very much
niko-las

Return to Installation/Deinstallation