Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Exporting settings from free, importing them to plus

Exporting settings from free, importing them to plus

Postby Hirschgoulasch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:26 pm

That doesn't work.

Guess, a user tested free editon for two years.

He gets a license for plus edition, exports the settings, exits the gui panel, stops and deactivates the service, installs the plus edition, starts the service, runs the gui panel, all settings lost.

He imports the settings.xml.

That doesn't work.

He has to setup EVERYTHING again from scratch.

He -> me.

I'm annoyed.

I'm considering about just staying on free edition.

Edit:

I'm totally annoyed.
The release plus version linked in forum is no german edition, I hangled myself through the site to get that.
I exported settings.
I installed german edition.
All settings gone - same procedure as always.
Importing settings - none.

Damn.

Reverting to release free german edition I used before.
Importing its settings - none.

Yes, I exported to different files for free and plus edition.

I wondered if there is kinda keycode or something inside the settings.xml. I found nothing.

What is the problem that I can't import exported settings, neither to other edition nor to SAME edition.

I'm angry. Everytime I upgrade (or switch edition) everything is lost and I have to create zones and rules again and again (in Plus I really HAVE TO create the default zones EnableAll, DisableAll, IncomingOnly and OutgoingOnly to work properly BEFORE I can add rules for programs).

And I can't just install the newer (or other) version on top!!!

This also is very annoying.

No matter if I stopped and deactivated the service or not, always setup says that I have to close Total Commander. Okay. I did it. And now - no matter if I exited TC or not, setup fails, it says the program folder is inaccessible - I checked that with Unlocker. It's only locked by the setup.exe itself - or the setup.tmp whatever.

Man. When I click on cancel all changes are "reverted", that means WFC is uninstalled and I have to reinstall it.

Please, if it is necessary to uninstall first, change your installer to tell the user that this is to be done first.

These are so many tiny (or not so tiny) annoying facts - summarized I get some foul language on my tongue.
Hirschgoulasch

Re: Exporting settings from free, importing them to plus

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:52 pm

Deactivating the service may prevent the correct upgrade/import procedure.
The functionality resides in the service.
There is no need to manipulate with the service state for the upgrade.
Very many users upgraded the product without losing settings.
However Free to Plus upgrade actually deletes the settings.
There is no a regular way to import Free exported the setting into a Plus installation.
The reason is simple, there is just no sense to import Free settings into Plus version.
The free versions settings are too limited by the limited free version functionality; there is no sense to have EnableAll/DisableAll only permissions in the Plus version. The Plus version provides much more flexible settings. So any Free-to-Plus upgrade (and import settings) deletes all the programs settings and detects applications as new ones.
If you need to import Free settings into the Plus version, please ask us for a workaround. Manual the file editing will be required.
There is no a special code in the export file. Every time the product analyzes the file content and determines its origin (Free or Plus) and processes the settings accordingly to from/to upgrade pair.

>What is the problem that I can't import exported settings, neither to other edition nor to SAME edition.

There is no problem to import the settings into the same edition. If you find a related problem please provide us with the pair versions/editions/bitness and the exported file (if you would like to) and will verify and fix (if any) the problem.

>(in Plus I really HAVE TO create the default zones EnableAll, DisableAll, IncomingOnly and OutgoingOnly to work properly BEFORE I can add rules for programs).

The Plus version has the a lot of predefined zoned including the mentioned ones.
Do you have the zones tab empty after the upgrade?
Could it be the problems are inspired by the service related manual manipulations?

>have to close Total Commander.

The setup analyzes all the involved files for locks. The third party locks prevent the files from replacing. Most probably ExplMenu.Dll (the explorer right click context menu provider) is used by TotalCommander. There is no way to unlock the dll beyond closing the program manually or restarting the entire PC.

>Please, if it is necessary to uninstall first, change your installer to tell the user that this is to be done first.

There is no need to uninstall first before the upgrade. On-the-top upgrade is supported in full.
If you have troubles with the setup please run the setup with /LOG="filename" command line parameter (valid for uninstaller as well) and send us the log(s)

Unfortunately we have no idea for where the root problem is. Looks like your system has a specific or you (accidentally) perform an action that breaks the normal upgrade procedure.
We would more details (logs for instance) to catch at something.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Re: Exporting settings from free, importing them to plus

Postby Hirschgoulasch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 pm

I upgraded to 6.3.35.46 (german plus edition -> german plus edition) and it worked well.
Hirschgoulasch

Return to Free vs. Plus -- VFC vs. Windows built-in firewall