Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Java is read-only in free edition

Java is read-only in free edition

Postby DonJuane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:46 pm

I have a java app that needs to access the Internet and I can't find a way to stop it default read-only. Solution? Thanks!
DonJuane

Re: Java is read-only in free edition

Postby DonJuane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 pm

I went into Advanced Settings of Windows Firewall and was able to manually unblock Java from accessing the Internet. Hope this doesn't have any repercussions.
DonJuane

Re: Java is read-only in free edition

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 am

The Free version has a limitation. It does not protect system (formally located in c:\windows\*) applications and forcibly set the applications with EnableAll without an ability to change the permission.
W8FC initially rejects any unlisted application access attempt. The rejection happens only once, after that the (listed) applications follow the zones set to them.

Unfortunately we did not understand precisely whether you would like to enable or disable java finally. Anyway after the initial block the Free version enables the system application in full.

If you would like to keep the application enabled there is no need to do anything. The application will be enabled (after the initial/detection block) at W8FC level. You should be just sure the application is not blocked in WF anyhow. Most probably WF has no default blocking rules for that.

If you need to block the application finally you would have to use WindowsFirewall (WF) and manually set a blocking rule for the application. The Free version keeps system applications enabled forcibly.

Anyway to enable an application, the application must be enabled in W8FC _and_ WF. If you would like to block any single block (W8FC _or_ WF) will be enough
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to My App is blocked, What to do