Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Settings export / import after update

Settings export / import after update

Postby Hirschgoulasch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:48 pm

I updated from v6.3.37.53 beta German Plus Edition to v6.4.21.47 beta German Plus Edition.

So, I exported the setting, uninstalled, rebooted, installed new version.

Now the fresh install is "terrorizing" me with blocking messages and between clicks after clicks to get rid off messages I chose to import settings.

But it needs up to 30 seconds before the settings are really set.

It seems kinda chaotic and I chose to import the settings again.
Now the program behaviour rules are fine again.

But - not everything is inside the settings file:
The GUI behaviour of tray popup messages is not affected.

Just my two cents.
Hirschgoulasch

Re: Settings export / import after update

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am

Thank you for informing us.

>Now the fresh install is "terrorizing" me with blocking messages and between clicks after clicks to get rid off messages I chose to import settings.

Actually the blocked events presence is not sign of a problem. It’s rather a sign of the firewall works and blocks unwanted (following your settings) connections.

>But it needs up to 30 seconds before the settings are really set.

The import process may take time depending on amount of the permissions to import.
Also during the import the previous permissions are deleted first and then the new imported permissions are applied. So there is a short period when the permissions are not consistent.
That may cause a short “chaotic” period.
As typically the upgrades are made on-the-top the “chaotic” period just does not exist. The upgrade starts to use all the existing permissions immediately.
We are working on the next version to avoid the need of previous version uninstallation required.
We just hurried up to issue the update with the serious problem fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

>But - not everything is inside the settings file:
The GUI behaviour of tray popup messages is not affected.

If you have an application that is blocked, the blocking is correct, fits your security policy precisely and you would like to just get rid of the annoying messages, you can switch the blocking notifications off for the particular application via Programs/TheApplication/DoubleClick/Check “Disable Blocked Notifications Balloon”

If you would like us to make a more specific suggestion please provide us with more details regarding the blocked events: applications blocked, permissions set to the applications and so on.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Installation/Deinstallation