Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Cortana and Windows 10 Firewall Control

Cortana and Windows 10 Firewall Control

Postby Crimson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Good afternoon!
For both Win 10 Pro x64 Upgrade, Win 10 Home x86 Upgrade, and Win 10 Home x86 Clean Install I observed that Windows 10 Firewall Control leads to a partial loss of Cortana's functions ("Interests aren't available at the moment."). Usually by clicking in Cortana's search field appointments, news, helpful information is presented. Windows 10 Firewall Control presumably leads to the display of the quote mentioned above. A similar behavior was observed for ZoneAlarm ("ZoneAlarm 14.0.157.000 blocks Cortana in Windows 10"). There the same problems were observed. The limitation of the Free Edition of Windows 10 Firewall Control, which doesn't allow system application management access, prevented me from finding a solution so far. I'd be grateful for suggestions to circumvent the problem.
Kind regards,
Andy
Crimson

Re: Cortana and Windows 10 Firewall Control

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:16 pm

The message like "Interests aren't available at the moment." Are probably caused by the related network blocking. It’s hard to imagine a program that reports “network blocking” being enabled (including the related services if any) in full.
So the problem is in overblocking. (The Free version set system apps with EnableAll forcibly and can't cause on overblocking)
When W10FC blocks an application it shows blocking notification event as an instant notification (yellow balloon) and saves the event in the access.log file.
The both sources should be pretty descriptive and include what app/service is blocked and what zone/rule was used for blocking.
You should just check the blocking history and reconsider the related permissions.
Please take into account that an application may issue a network activity in the name of other application/service.
You can send us the log if you would like us to help you to find/fix the overblocking
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby SPS » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:14 pm

I checked this myself as I have Cortana disabled because it isn't something I use.

C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe

TCP www.bing.com/204.79.197.200:443
SPS

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Crimson,

Looks like you should set the searchui.exe to EnableAll (with Free version). It uses bing as SPS mentioned.
Probably you have EnableAll already set as it's a system application.
So just restart Cortana
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to My App is blocked, What to do