Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

WFC10 & Windows Firewall on Windows 10

WFC10 & Windows Firewall on Windows 10

Postby mokaz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi all,

Just a simple question, is this product to be used in conjunction with the Windows Firewall ?
i'm asking this because in order to enable RDP on my VM'host i've had finally (after having tweaked rules (TCP&UDP 3389 Incoming) in the WFC10 GUI) to enable the rules at the Windows Firewall level. Only then my 3389 port has been revealed by a nmap scan from another LAN host..

Is this by design, are we supposed to use the Windows Firewall as well as WFC10 or is there something i've missed here ?

Thanks,
regards,
m.

ps: quiet like the product, very detailed indeed..
mokaz

Re: WFC10 & Windows Firewall on Windows 10

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:32 am

W10FC and Windows Firewall (WF) work completely independently.
With Basic/Plus/Network-Could Editions you can switch WF off without losing any protection.

So if you have WF switched on with W10FC simultaneously,actually you have 2 firewall in sequence.
Thus, in order to enable an activity, the activity must be enabled in the both firewalls.
If you need to disable an activity, any single block (W10FC or WF) will be enough.

So, what you are asking for is by design.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby mokaz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes great, i'll try this now thanks !!

As well, a small question, when is the WFC10 filter driver loaded ? will a booting host be able to send packets before any filtering is in place ?

Thanks,
regards,
m.
mokaz

Postby mokaz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:35 pm

VistaFirewallControl wrote:W10FC and Windows Firewall (WF) work completely independently.
With Basic/Plus/Network-Could Editions you can switch WF off without losing any protection.

:D
Works like a charm indeed !! Thanks for the information.
Best regards,
m.
mokaz

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 am

>when is the WFC10 filter driver loaded ? will a booting host be able to send packets before any filtering is in place.

There is no a filter driver at all. W10FC is based on Windows Filtering Platform (WFP, an integral part of the system network core). WFP starts with the system directly, so the filtering starts from the system boot as well, thus any packet sent would be passed through WFP.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby mokaz » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Perfect !
Thanks for your time and replies !!
mokaz

Return to What is VistaFirewallControl, features