Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

100% CPU usage on one core

100% CPU usage on one core

Postby billhoff » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Recently upgraded to the network/cloud edition. Two problems:

First, there is a constant 100% usage by Windows10FirewallControl.exe on a single core at *all* times, except for very brief periods when I interact with the GUI and the GUI itself freezes for a second or two.

Second, how can I set up a rule for a wildcard executable path? Eg. C:\users\me\temp\*.tmp\something.exe? I have software that apparently likes to extract a brand new version of itself every time it's run (and this would be also useful for applications that run updaters).
billhoff

Re: 100% CPU usage on one core

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:10 pm

>Recently upgraded to the network/cloud edition. Two problems:

Please specify the exact version.

>First, there is a constant 100% usage by Windows10FirewallControl.exe on a single core at *all* times, except for very brief periods when I interact with the GUI and the GUI itself freezes for a second or two.

Please try the latest 7.4.57
the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html
Typically the problem is caused by huge volume of allowed events processed. However most probably you do not need allowed events gathered/processed/displayed for mostly enabled (with EnableAll, WebBrowser/etc zones) high network active applications. Managing EditApplication/DisableAllowedEvents for such applications can significantly reduce amount of the processed events and so reduce the CPU consumption. The extremely active allowed applications can be determined by checking the Events pane and the access.log file of the installation folder.
"EditApplications/ManageDisableAllowed automatically" assists with the proper DisableAllowedEvents setting.
Average CPU usage of the panel should be about 0-1% (for all cores). 0% in the quiescent state and can arise up to 100% on a single core for several seconds on some panels refreshing or huge amount (thousands per second) of events to be processed.
If you need more details please do not hesitate to contact us.

>Second, how can I set up a rule for a wildcard executable path? Eg. C:\users\me\temp\*.tmp\something.exe?

Unfortunately there is no way to specify a wildcard in the path. It’s the pure WindowsFilteringPlatform (W10FC is based on) limitation. The path must be specified precisely without variations.

>I have software that apparently likes to extract a brand new version of itself every time it's run (and this would be also useful for applications that run updaters).

Are you aware of “Mutable (Web) Installer Helpers” (and probably “Multiple app(1), app(2) etc entries in Programs list.”
(http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html)
So we could offer you a workaround via Settings/AllApplications zone.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby billhoff » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Please specify the exact version.

As of now, 7.4.57 (latest beta).

CPU problem still happening. With no changes other than installing that version, it's slightly better (backs off the CPU for a few seconds at a time), but same issue.

Typically the problem is caused by huge volume of allowed events processed.

Nope. After a few minutes of running from a fresh reboot, there's only about 10 or so listings in there. I tried ticking "Disable "Allowed" Events" for each of the things that appear there. No dice, same problem.

checking the Events pane and the access.log

There's no access.log. But like I said, events tab only has a few entries.

Unfortunately there is no way to specify a wildcard in the path. It’s the pure WindowsFilteringPlatform (W10FC is based on) limitation. The path must be specified precisely without variations.

How disappointing! Not your fault of course. I really like W10FC *because* it uses WFP, so that's that I suppose.

So we could offer you a workaround via Settings/AllApplications zone.

Thanks for the suggestion, but, yeah, hell no. I'm not making the default zone enabled, kind of defeats the purpose for me. Shame WFP doesn't support that.
billhoff

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:21 pm

>CPU problem still happening. With no changes other than installing that version, it's slightly better (backs off the CPU for a few seconds at a time), but same issue.

Might we ask you to run the logging version to reveal what actually happens.
Please contact support [at] sphinx-soft [dot] com referring the thread. We will send you the related instructions.

>checking the Events pane and the access.log
>There's no access.log. But like I said, events tab only has a few entries.

Actually that’s strange. If there are events in the events pane the related events should be definitely stored into the access.log

>Thanks for the suggestion, but, yeah, hell no. I'm not making the default zone enabled, kind of defeats the purpose for me.

We do not offer you settings default zone to enable widely.
The purpose of the AllApps zone is the following. If you have a mutable download/update helper, the helper typically asks to connect to a specific IP or a range only. Most probably the range is specific to the helper only.
Via AllApps zone you can set permissions for that/those IP(s) precisely.

If the related AllApps zone’s rule is disabling there would be no security holes at all.

If the rules are enabling, most probably the IP/range will never be used by other applications.
If you have a doubt you can add the corresponding disabling rules to the listed applications and to the default zone (for future applications). Per applications rules override the AllApps zone
(Rules Precedence of http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/zones.html). As the result AllApps will effectively work for all "unpatched" apps only, i.e. for the helper only.

>Shame WFP doesn't support that.

Actually, if you think about it thoroughly, it’s not a shame at all. If paths wildcards are implemented it would be a big security hole for other applications and any third party could easily find a way how to penetrate through the firewall by just "proper" file renaming. So strict paths only is a good approach.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to My App is blocked, What to do