Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Windows 10 host process question

Windows 10 host process question

Postby SPS » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:19 pm

With the same default permissions being added for Windows 10 for the way host processes for Windows services works as with Windows 8, I am having difficulity getting Windows update to auto search for updates. Local+DNS+DHCP+update(svchost) Is there anything else needing to be changed?
SPS

Re: Windows 10 host process question

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:08 pm

Actaully Local+DNS+DHCP+update(svchost) is enough to allow windows updates.
Practically only 2 rules of the zone are critical: http-WindowsUpdate and https-WindowsUpdate.
The rules must be green (enabling) in the zone.
If you have Network/Cloud Edition a “….+Update…” zone must be applied to HostProcess for allusers (no user specified) and the “NetworkServices” user.

The investigation road map is the following.
- Please temporary set TrayIcon/RightClick/Mode:EnableAll. The mode switches the firewall off entirely. So if the problem remains under Mode:EnableAll the firewall is not involved in the problem.
- In Mode:Normal when the firewall blocks a (required) activity, it shows notification of the blocked event, shows the event in the Events pane and saves the event in the access.log file (of the installation folder). Tracing the events immediately after a problem related operation is performed, you can check what application was mistakenly overblocked and reconsider the permissions. The notification text is pretty descriptive and shows blocked application name and the blocking reason (zone/rule names)
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby SPS » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was that my understanding of how updates work with Windows 10 is a little bit different. SIH Client, from what I can gather is also used as part of the updating process. Finding any info on the process is difficuilt, but it does appear to be some kind of FTP function used between host and client PC's.

Also on a side note. What does mode override mean when a process is set to disable all?

SPS

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:06 pm

“Mode Override” means the permissions are set with global Mode:EnableAll or Mode:DisableAll.
However following the screen “Download Upload Host” was enabled (green arrows), so probably Mode:EnableAll (not Mode:DisableAll) was used.

Unfortunately we have no information in connection with the SIH client network specifics.
If there is a connectivity problem with the firewall used, the general approach is finding overblocked applications and patching the permissions accordingly.

Using the information provided we could just suggest using (in Mode:Normal) a more enabling zone (EnableAll ?) for “Download Upload Host”. Actually if “Download Upload Host” is involved in the update process, DisabeAll zone prevents any network operations at all.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby SPS » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:52 pm

I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestions and help, as always.
SPS

Return to My App is blocked, What to do