Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Version history

The product edition for XP, 2003, 2000

Version history

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Please follow the main version history thread
the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html

Initial publicly available version
Driver crash at SYS+1e22 fixed
Minor GUI fixes (TrayIcon/RightClick/Mode: switching)
The logging is switched off completely.
Minor GUI fix. Program/RightClick/Zone and Settings/OtherRules caused the side error
Fixes:The problem with mixed case non-english application names/paths (XP related only)
Applicationless rules – rules for all the applications at once. A one click solution for one-access attempt mutable randomly named co-installers producing multiple app(1), app(2) entries in the application list. Solution for one-click VPNs enabling.
The Log pane (available via a click to the notification balloon as well) allows to quickly append required permissions to existing zones basing on blocked IP/port parameters. WHOIS by the blocked IP is implemented.
“AV hook check” feature allows to determine whether the traffic is hooked by an AV for the corresponding processing. (Modern AVs hook applications on-the-fly “inside” PC (locally) before the apps reach the real network. As the result the apps interact locally with an AV related services and real network communication goes through (in the name of) AVs. In such case to disable the apps you would have to disable the AV online monitoring first, otherwise LanOnly (for instance) will enable the applications worldwide because of the AV processing)
Application and Log list Filter option helps to show only a subset of applications (by name) with the letter pattern found.
LogReset feature.
Non-W7FC blocking notifications are strictly marked as made by WindowsFirewall. (W7FC shows all the blocking notifications regardless of the origin).
Application path is added to blocked.log records.
Settings:”Run for Administrators only” option (non Server Edition) helps to manage multiuser usage environment.
Clickable image/url in About dialog + a dozen of minor GUI improvements.

Synchronized with the main project
http://vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org/the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Re: Version history

Postby jclarkw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 pm

>>Synchronized with the main project
the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html<<

Several questions about W7FC-Plus for XP versions and upgrades:

1) This post is very out of date; but I'm finding the above link, which seems to mix together betas, main versions, and XP versions, very confusing. Is there a current listing of version history for the XP branch?

2) I am currently running vs. 4.1.21.93 of the licensed "Plus" product on my three XP SP3 systems, and I see that the currently downloadable version is 5.0.0.15. Your site still says, "Perpetual license without subscriptions." As I recall, however, I would have to purchase three new licenses (presently %50 discount) to upgrade from my existing versions 4 to current versions 5. Is this still true, or is there a free or less expensive upgrade path?

Best Regards. -- John Willett

P.S. -- None of my old links to posts on this forum work. Instead I get a page that says in fine print at the bottom, "This domain may be for sale." Is there a simple way to update these old links, or do I have to start over? -- J.W.
jclarkw

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:07 pm

>Is there a current listing of version history for the XP branch?

The entire version history is
http://vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org/the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html
XP related features and fixes are strictly marked.
Actually the control panel for all the editions is the same, so the fixes to the control panel are applicable to the XP editions as well. All the others are marked with the “XP:” prefix.

> "Perpetual license without subscriptions."

Actually “perpetual license for purchased version". The minor updates are free. The major updates are 30% discounted. However the XP Edition is already 50% discounted. So the default offered discount is above 30%.

> is there a free or less expensive upgrade path?

If you experience a 4.x (or any previous version) specific problem, which is solved in the latest version, we would be happy to replace your license for free. However if you do need a latest version feature that is not implemented in 4.x (or previous version), you would have to purchase the upgrade.
Also we do provide free licenses for reproducible/significant/confirmed problems found in any version. Undoubtedly we do our best to fix the problem.
If you suggest a useful feature, we try to implement the feature as soon as possible and grant free license for the suggestion made.

>P.S. -- None of my old links to posts on this forum work.

The problem may be simple. The forum provider allocated a dedicated domain for the forum a while ago, firewall-forum.com and all the links from http://vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org/ were redirected to firewall-forum.com automatically. Then firewall-forum.com was deallocated by the provider.
So if you use firewall-forum.com links, the links are not operable. Please verify and replace
firewall-forum.com with vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org if required.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby jclarkw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks!

>>XP related features and fixes are strictly marked.<<

I understand the above quote. What I don't understand is which versions (minor versions?) are/were available for XP. Perhaps you can help me to parse this combined-version-history post. It is apparently not the case that **all** versions listed are/were available for XP. For example I believe I was told that 4.5.1.15 was not issued for XP so that 4.1.21.93 (my current) is the latest XP release in version 4. True? If not, how do I get the latest?

Perhaps it will help you to better understand my confusion if I list some of my quandaries:

If 5.1.3.59 (beta) is the only beta, then what are 5.1.3.59 through 5.0.1.16?

Or does the "(release)" after 5.0.0.15 mean that **everything** above it is a beta?

Am I guessing correctly that a version postfixed by **any** heading applies **only** to the branches listed in that heading, whereas versions without postfix apply to **all** branches? In other words, 5.1.3.59, 5.1.0.25, 5.0.3.19, etc. do NOT apply to XP but 5.1.2.57, 5.0.4.20, and 5.0.0.15 do? Or does anything with a postfix including "Plus" (e.g., 5.0.2.18, 4.5.1.15) also apply to XP?

I'm assuming that some of the **guesses** above are wrong. For those of us still using XP, it would be sure be helpful to have a separate version list for that branch. (Perhaps specific network, cloud, W8, etc. users feel the same way?) Failing that, please at least post the latest XP release/beta of the last few major versions in the XP section.

-- John Willett
jclarkw

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 am

>I understand the above quote. What I don't understand is which versions (minor versions?) are/were available for XP.

Obviously not all the versions available always.

There are three available always:

- archive, the latest/final of each major version, available in the Archive Section of the order/download page. So latest 1.x, 2.x. 3.x and 4.x.

- the latest release available on the order/download page and http://vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org/the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html

- the latest prerelease (beta) only here [url]http://vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org/the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html
[/url]

> I believe I was told that 4.5.1.15 was not issued for XP so that 4.1.21.93 (my current) is the latest XP release in version 4. True? If not, how do I get the latest?

4.5 was a release candidate of v5, so has been suppressed by 5 release.
So 4.1.21 was the latest release of 4.x. It’s available in the Archive Section (at the bottom) of the main order/download page

>If 5.1.3.59 (beta) is the only beta, then what are 5.1.3.59 through 5.0.1.16?

A set of temporary builds. If the builds are not mentioned in the version history, the builds were not available publicly.

>Or does the "(release)" after 5.0.0.15 mean that **everything** above it is a beta?

Formally all the versions after 5.0 are “betas” at the moment. However we treat our “betas” as stable enough to be used on the regular basis. Typically we fix the related problems if any within 2-3 business days. The next beta just includes new features usually

> Or does anything with a postfix including "Plus" (e.g., 5.0.2.18, 4.5.1.15) also apply to XP?

We rebuild all the branches of every next beta build at once. Otherwise it would be hard to specify the version, if every binary in the setup has a specific subversion. The changes (if branch dependent) are specified on per-branch basis.

>For those of us still using XP, it would be sure be helpful to have a separate version list for that branch.

Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible technically. The branches are significantly dependent.

>Failing that, please at least post the latest XP release/beta of the last few major versions in the XP section.

The XP version started as independent branch has been synchronized with the other branches and version numbers have been unified
For now
5.0.0.15- the leatest release,
5.1.3.59- the latest beta (the next build will be available within several days probably, it’s already in the tetsting.
4.1.21.93 – the latest v4. for all the branches
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby jclarkw » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:23 pm

OK, Thanks. I think I get it. -- John Willett
jclarkw

Postby PietO » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Is the Windows-XP 8.0.0.11 also supporting domain-names, thus candidate for upgrading? I assume so, but asking before testing.
PietO

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:43 pm

8.x XP edition will be probably postponed for a period at least or discontinued.

> I assume so, but asking before testing.
Actually there is nothing to test. 8.x for XP was never even built.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to XP Edition