Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Unblocking LocalHost in AllApps Zone

Re: Unblocking LocalHost in AllApps Zone

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:57 pm

>it the minimum of what it needs

Minimum is DisableAll though. ;-)

>Much more importantly, as my system is a laptop & can move from LAN to LAN,

Are you aware of Mode: Expensive/Insecure Connection?
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:05 pm

>>Minimum is DisableAll though

Minimum of *what it needs*. If it needs IPC to function, ThisPCOnly would be minimum of what it needs - & LAN would be more than it needs ;)

>>Are you aware of Mode: Expensive/Insecure Connection?

Yup, I am. The issue remains the same tho: there's a pretty big list of software that requires IPC, aka it needs localhost to function. It doesn't, however, need anything else on the LAN - so why enable it to the LAN when LAN may or may not be secure? Sure, using Expensive/Insecure Connection would be a way to say "don't allow that software to be used at all unless I'm at home"...but what would be the purpose of that?
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:01 pm

>Minimum of *what it needs*. If it needs IPC to function, ThisPCOnly would be minimum of what it needs - & LAN would be more than it needs

Could you please disclose what is the application. Just curious.
Typically only (by purpose) network applications tend to use localhost IPC.
Such applications are rather senseless to have installed without LanOnly at least.
If the application is a pure local (network passive) one it hardly uses IPC via network(localhost).
So DisableAll should be tolerant for that.

>>Are you aware of Mode: Expensive/Insecure Connection?
Sure, using Expensive/Insecure Connection would be a way to say "don't allow that software to be used at all unless I'm at home"...but what would be the purpose of that?

Switching between Home and Public LANs.
May be not too suitable for you though.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:19 pm

>>Could you please disclose what is the application. Just curious.

*Adobe Premiere crashes when localhost is blocked.
*Adobe Lightroom doesn't crash, but takes an eternity to launch.
*iTunes cannot detect an iPhone connected over USB
*Similarly for many iPhone-related 3rd party utilities (i.e. iTools, iFunBox, etc)
*VisualStudio uses IPC to talk to one of its satellite binaries that I believe is used for CodeLens (microsoft.alm.shared.remoting.remotecontainer.dll)
*All of the above aren't 'network unrelated," so no need for LAN - but one that is network-related but that I definitely don't want open to the whole LAN is mysql (part of xampp, for local web development).

:)
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Good samples, thank you!
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Specific behavior