Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Why do we have to pay for every update?

Why do we have to pay for every update?

Postby MaxPower » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

I think it a bit of a rort making us pay every time you update the software.
I have owned this product since Vista and every time Sphinx upgrades it I have to pay all over again. It is costing me a fortune when all I am getting is updated cosmetics. The program still does the same & is almost identical to the Vista version all those years ago other than for a tweak here & there.
Come on guys it's just a tiny little GUI your selling, its not some huge huge time consuming program development & it's not rocket science.
People who buy it should get the updates for free.
But you guys will bring out another update in 6 months or so & if your loyal customers want it we will have to pay again.

Anyway this will be the last version I will be purchasing from Sphinx & I will go with the freeware GUI's from now on.There are a few good ones out there that don't cost a penny, and there will be more just like them. They are all using the exact same windows native firewall platform as Sphinx.
Be careful Sphinx because there have been a lot of big name firewalls that have disappeared in the last 10 years because they got too greedy.
People aren't going to pay when they can get the same or similar for free.
MaxPower

Re: Why do we have to pay for every update?

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:26 am

>I think it a bit of a rort making us pay every time you update the software.

You have no obligations to order updates at all.
Every purchased license is perpetual for purchased version.
The upgrade decision is yours solely.

If you are satisfied with the existing version functionality and do not see any benefits in newly introduced features (in spite of there is typically a lot of new non-GUI features introduced in every new major update), you should not update at all.

Why do you upgrade if the new features are only “cosmetic” for you?
Just to see the version changed and shown as the latest?
If so, there is nothing to complain about.
The decision was yours.
You were never forced to update.

>Come on guys it's just a tiny little GUI your selling

The “tiny” GUI consists of about 500.000 lines of the source code.
And Free Edition exists and available to you anytime.
The choice is yours always.

> its not some huge huge time consuming program development & it's not rocket science.
>People who buy it should get the updates for free.

The minor updates are free.

>But you guys will bring out another update in 6 months or so

It’s not correct. The updates statistics shows that the period is about a year or more.
The updates are not linked to the calendar actually.
When we only have an important new feature to be implemented, we start the development and then issue the update.

>& if your loyal customers want it we will have to pay again.

The update is your sole decision.
You do not have to update, you may want to update.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby MaxPower » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 am

You haven't answered the questions I asked but you answered these that I didn't ask:
Do you really change and completely re-invent the 5000,000 lines of code with each new version or do you just tweak it a little bit?
So you are actually saying that the choice is ours, & we never have to update the program from the original Vista version to the windows 10 version if we get windows 10 because there is no real difference between the two?
So does that mean it's the same program with a new GUI? Must be if you say we don't have to update every time.

And I did not complain I just asked for some answers, you are the ones who are getting upperty & complaining because I asked.
MaxPower

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 am

>Do you really change and completely re-invent the 5000,000 lines of code with each new version or do you just tweak it a little bit?

Neither. Minor tweaking/bug fixing may take place though.
The most important is new significant functionality introduced in every major update.

>So you are actually saying that the choice is ours, & we never have to update the program from the original Vista version to the windows 10 version if we get windows 10 because there is no real difference between the two?

Any version starting from VistaFirewallControl (i.e. v1) is compatible with Windows10 in full.
You have no obligations to update and you were never forced to update.
You just may want to update if you find the newly introduced functionality useful or (for instance) you like a GUI enhancement.
The update decision is yours solely.
If you do not see a newly introduced feature at all or do not see a reason to update, you should not update.

>So does that mean it's the same program with a new GUI?

Actually significant GUI enhancement was made in v8 only. The previous versions look alike from the GUI point.

>Must be if you say we don't have to update every time.

You do not have to update at all, there are no obligations, any license is perpetual for purchased version.
If you are completely satisfied with the existing functionality/appearance you just have no logical reasons to update. There may be some emotional reasons to update just because you would like to have the latest version anyway for instance. There is hardly a sense to discuss emotions with a software vendor. Such reasons just may be as well.
Anyway all the reasoning are your solely.
If you have a technical question please do not hesitate to ask us.

>And I did not complain I just asked for some answers, you are the ones who are getting upperty & complaining because I asked.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, we were under impression you are complaining because of the “need” to update. So we have been trying to explain that there are no “needs”/obligations/enforcement.

Like new version for any reason – welcome to update.
Don’t like it or don’t understand “why to update” – do not update. If so, you will just have functionality/appearance originally purchased and stay with the functionality/appearance as long as you want.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Return to Free vs. Plus -- VFC vs. Windows built-in firewall