Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The latest Betas/Releases

Re: The latest Betas/Releases

Postby Hirschgoulasch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 pm

VistaFirewallControl wrote:What is your OS? We would like to perform the experiment using the same system.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Version 1607 (Build 14393.693)
Hirschgoulasch

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Already tried on 1607/64.
Will try to invent a special condition to reproduce.
Thank you!
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby sp4096 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: "Sometimes Explorer can’t be restarted correctly because of another (third party) component.
The only known case at the moment is an Acronis dll (Plugin) inserted to Explorer by an Acronis installer.
Removing the Acronis plugin allows restart manager to work flawlessly with Explorer."
Yup, I know that all too well. BUT, I've uninstalled Acronis in December, so that's no longer the cause. Something prevented explorer from restarting. Do you recall what you suggested to check before? Of course it's no issue for me since installing from the admin account works fine, and really, firewalls and AVs should be done like that.

Re: "The check in Programs allows suppressing allowed event for the particular program only. The events will be picked up and analyzed anyway. It’s a kind of "disable for displaying".
The check in settings is global, it switches off allowed events gathering completely."
Million thanks for explaining this very important distinction :)
sp4096

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 am

>Something prevented explorer from restarting. Do you recall what you suggested to check before?

Restart Manager and Explorer are native windows entities.
So, there is a reason to expect they should work perfectly themselves without any third part affection.
Taking into account the assumption and the logic above, there is a need to find the affecting third party addon

The tools could probably help
- Autoruns from sysintenals
- ShellExView from nirsoft.net

After that a set of experiments should be expected for disabling the addons one-by-one and checking the result. Unfortunately it could be time consumptive, but no other ways can be suggested at the moment.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby NoelC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Can you please describe in slightly less technical terms what this new setting does?

[ ] Low HDD activity (disables Run/Ext/RouterSync and AllowOnce)

I see that it may be provided as a test for people claiming the product uses more CPU time than they'd like. In my case it reduced very small regular bumps in CPU usage to almost nothing. But I'm more interested in reducing HDD activity, since that actually could cut into productivity by slowing other disk-intensive applications down.

What I'm specifically interested in is what features or protections of the firewall software might be reduced by checking the above setting.

Thanks.

-Noel
NoelC

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:56 pm

>[ ] Low HDD activity (disables Run/Ext/RouterSync and AllowOnce)

Run,Ext are the columns in the Programs list.
RoutreSync – portforwarding with running applications dynamic synchronization.
AllowOnce is ability to automatically delete applied permissions after the program is finished.
(the Edit Application option)

>I see that it may be provided as a test for people claiming the product uses more CPU time than they'd like.

Actually we have a couple of the related reports, but still are not able to reproduce the problem.
So there was a suggestion to try to check the Settings/LowHDD first. The option can actually switch off some background activity.
Unfortunately there is no a feedback or “did not help” was received.
We need something to catch at.
Nearly for sure the problem is caused by third party applications that inject DLLs into to the firewall processes.
There are some evidences of that.

>In my case it reduced very small regular bumps in CPU usage to almost nothing.

As it’s expected and confirmed on multiple the program installations.
There may be just some exceptions we would like to investigate and fix if it’s possible.
For now, unfortunately we have nothing to catch at, just a couple of reports confirming the problem exists. We are working on the solution though.

>But I'm more interested in reducing HDD activity, since that actually could cut into productivity by slowing other disk-intensive applications down.

HDD activity (if any) is implicit only.
The firewall does not operate with a file directly excepting the access.log file
However there is a known behavior on Vista and early Windows 7 where the events checking causes WFP to periodically read C:\Windows\System32\wfp\wfpdiag.etl. From the firewall point it’s just a regular WFP operation. The option MAY just affect the HDD usage on early Windows7 and Vista. Starting from Windows7/SP1 the default events checking is made via subscriptions/callbacks, not via polling (where periodic HDD activity may be involved).

>What I'm specifically interested in is what features or protections of the firewall software might be reduced by checking the above setting.

The protection will not be reduced. With LowHDD checked there will be just no Run and Ext columns in the Programs list updated, no portforwarding to the router dynamic synchronization and AllowedOnce will not delete the related applications automatically, nothing else
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby NoelC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 am

Thanks for the info.

After a few days of testing 8.2.0.25 seems very solid.

I have tried running with the [ ] Low HDD activity option set as well, and it's worked fine. The system registered a tiny amount higher on a system benchmark than before when all the activity was enabled. I think I'll continue using the setting.

-Noel
NoelC

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 am

Thank you!
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:15 pm

VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin