Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

WFC and League of Legends (new client) issue:

WFC and League of Legends (new client) issue:

Postby MACK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello.

History: League of Legends has a launcher and a client and several other programs ( .exe) which perform updating functions.

There was a "legacy" League Client that simply had to be "allowed" and then restart (multiple times) until all the other programs it calls are "allowed" and work. (because it usually failed once any single one in the chain failed).

Now they updated the Client, and I have encountered a new problem:

New Client Problem:

If the Mode is set to "EnableAll" the client works fine.

If I set the Mode to "Normal" I get the usual Pop-Ups, and set to EnableAll, and "most" of the client works.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a "helper" executable that I have accidentally blocked. And I don't know which one that it is using.

Question: Is there a Mode that I can use which "temporarily" forces WFC to pop-up all traffic so I can see which app/exe League of Legends is using, and then re-enable it?

(Other ideas on how to track down the blocked unknown helper .exe / app)?

Thanks!
MACK

Re: WFC and League of Legends (new client) issue:

Postby PietO » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Normally such info is presented in the events-tab when it happens ; anyhow check the logfile in setting/logfile for unknown programs. This assumes that event-logging is NOT disabled by purpose for the unknow "helper" program in the program-tab. Thus possibly uncheck all disable event options for each program. Also make sure that the popup for new detected programs is not disabled (under settings tab).
PietO

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

PietO is right absolutely.
Actually if you need to find “what is blocked”, blocking events gathering/reviewing is the key.
So Events pane (with no applications events manually disabled) and the log file (access.log of the firewall installation folder) will be helpful.

>Question: Is there a Mode that I can use which "temporarily" forces WFC to pop-up all traffic so I can see which app/exe League of Legends is using, and then re-enable it?

There is no such global option (otherwise it would cause massive popups). The option exists on per application basis.
So you need to know the blocked application first. If you set ZoneResult of the application to Disable+Prompt (instead of Disable), the firewall will popup on every block of that application.
However, looks like it’s not an option for you as you need to find the blocked application first.

How it could be done with access.log (for instance)
Import the file into Excel (or another spreadsheet) using “|” as the fields separator.
Sort the table the 4-th column (where Blocked or Allowed is listed) and then sort by the 7-th field (application name). Review the result then and you will find the mistakenly blocked application within a minute.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby MACK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:21 pm

I went ahead and purchased the newest version (since mine was WFC8. And started over.
Of course, I did not "have" to do that, but I wanted the newest Network version anyway because of the awesome new features!!!

The re-install fixed the problem. Also, now I see a new Mode: Enable/DetectUnknown that seems useful.
Last edited by MACK on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MACK

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Thank you for purchasing the update!
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby MACK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm

You are welcome.
Thanks for being awesome!
MACK

Return to My App is blocked, What to do