Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Questions before I purchase

Questions before I purchase

Postby foxyrick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:17 am

I currently use an old version of Zone Alarm, which works perfectly well for IPv4 but does nothing for IPv6. Therefore I need to replace it. WFC10 looks like a good solution, but I have some questions before I purchase it, just to make sure it does what I need. I use Windows 7 and Server 2008R2, mostly.

The questions apply to both IPv4 and IPv6.

1. Can I set rules to allow an application to access PCs on my several VLANs (using private address IPv4 subnets and public address IPv6 subnets), but deny access to the internet? Zone Alarm easily allows this for IPv4.

2. Can I set rules to allow an application to communicate through one interface (NIC or virtual) but be blocked on another interface? This allows me to prevent a program from communicating to the internet over my physical NIC if my VPN connection (on a virtual adapter of course) is lost. Windows Firewall allows the interface to be included in the rule. Being able to specify the interface (rather than its IP address) is important because the VPN's virtual adapter IP address can change, but access should still be allowed through it without having to change the rule.

I'm guessing that the Zones in WFC10 can accomplish the above, but I don't think I can verify that with the free version.
foxyrick

Re: Questions before I purchase

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:21 am

>1. Can I set rules to allow an application to access PCs on my several VLANs (using private address IPv4 subnets and public address IPv6 subnets), but deny access to the internet? Zone Alarm easily allows this for IPv4.

You can do that easily. Moreover starting from Plus Edition W10FC has a special zone – LanOnly. The zone is pregenerated, by default lists all the physical/virtual network adapters of the PC and enables all the local communication via the adapters. All the rest is blocked.
So hopefully you will not have to even customize the zone to accomplish the above. You would just have to apply the zone to the chosen applications.

>2. Can I set rules to allow an application to communicate through one interface (NIC or virtual) but be blocked on another interface? This allows me to prevent a program from communicating to the internet over my physical NIC if my VPN connection (on a virtual adapter of course) is lost. Windows Firewall allows the interface to be included in the rule. Being able to specify the interface (rather than its IP address) is important because the VPN's virtual adapter IP address can change, but access should still be allowed through it without having to change the rule.

W10FC does not allow per-NIC settings, per-IP/range is allowed only.
We believe the per-NIC settings may be not required as most probably IPranges of the physical card VPN are distinguishable. Any IP changes can be reflected within several clicks, there is a global editing option for that (Settings/Rules and Settings/LANs)
In the worst case you can use WindowsFirewall additionally on create per-NIC permissions on the top.

>I'm guessing that the Zones in WFC10 can accomplish the above, but I don't think I can verify that with the free version.

All the versions trials are full functional. So you can try anything yourself and request our comments any time.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Re: Questions before I purchase

Postby foxyrick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I had not realised that the non-free versions could be installed as a trial, that is good news.

I've just installed the Plus version on my testing system in VMWare Workstation. I'll give it a run for a few days. I have a strong suspicion I'll be buying it before the end of the week ;)

Cheers,
Rick.
foxyrick

Return to What is VistaFirewallControl, features