Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The latest Betas/Releases

Re: The latest Betas/Releases

Postby sp4096 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:04 pm

RE: "So if a VLC applied zone (Programs/VLC/F3) has ZoneResult= Enable, there is nothing to investigate. You just set it to enable and it enables."
and "If none of the rules matches the requested IP/Port/etc, ZoneResult is used as the verdict."

I read what you just wrote and reread the Help file about processing sequence.
VLC had resulting zone for any other packets allowed silently.
How or why - no recollection.
I'll watch it next time I use it, but think it's no issue other than me being an idiot.
I may send you settings but I think there's no need at this time. And I will be fixing things.
I might add "block all other" rule into the sets or add +Prompt to really make it clearer to me.
sp4096

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue May 30, 2017 5:14 pm

What's about runDll's ZoneResult? Enable as well?

>I may send you settings but I think there's no need at this time. And I will be fixing things.

actually, no need. The problem is clear and fixed by the proper settings.

>I might add "block all other" rule into the sets

As you wish, but ZoneResult=Disable does the same.
Moreover ZoneResult is more flexible, it can be overwritten by Domains and Settings/AllApps if required. if you place the blockall evident rule the overwriting will not be possible.
It affects certificate verification first for the programs in LanOnly.

>or add +Prompt to really make it clearer to me.

+Prompt is a good idea, just be ready to be prompted in volume.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby sp4096 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:40 pm

RunDLL zone result remains = disable.
This all gives me an idea: in the event log perhaps you could indicate that it fell through because of wrong zone result. Something like "LanOnly-Other". Just to prevent people like me from complaining :)

Thanks for the further hints. I agree the zone result is equivalent, and a flood of prompts can be a pest.
sp4096

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 pm

>. Something like "LanOnly-Other". Just to prevent people like me from complaining

The idea is unfortunately inconsistent.
The log shows the rules for blocking/allowing as there are specified (by you or by default)
So if a zone is named as an ABC, the ZoneResult related rule is named as the ABC as well.
There is just no other information is available.
Then WFP informs about the final permission verdict and (low level) filterID (a digit value)
The from-WFP filterID is used to find the rule name (as it's specified) in the WxFC database.
So the only way to do a similar thing is changing the applied to app zone to a custom name.
After that the rule identification can be easily found in the log.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:40 pm

8.2.0.32 released
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby sp4096 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:42 am

8.2.0.32 - flawless installation over the top still on Windows10(1607). Installed in admin account.
Really nice in/out horizontal arrows in zone rules and events. Very helpful, as we discussed.
I see a bunch of new domain rules. Thank you.
sp4096

Previous

Return to What is VistaFirewallControl, features