Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

window open on boot

window open on boot

Postby richocki » Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 am

Running Windows 7 Firewall Control in windows 7 64bit. Great program but when I boot the computer the Windows 7 Firewall Control window always opens. It is the one that has the programs, settings and statistics tabs. How can I stop this window from opening?
richocki

Re: window open on boot

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri May 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Just tried to reproduce the problem with the mentioned version (x64 Free), W7FC did not open the main window after reboot.
We would suggest you to verify the following:
- If W7FC is double launched, the second instance is configured to open the window of the first instance. So if you have an additional/alternative (to the main installer) way to launch W7FC, you will see the window opened. Are there any additional/custom settings to autorun W7FC?
- If you do not see the window itself, but see only a "pedal" in the task bar, please uncheck Settings/Window7TaksBarIntegration
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby richocki » Fri May 03, 2013 3:28 pm

OK, the window does not open every time. It's about 8 out of 10 starts. I am not sure where or what is telling W7FC to start. When I installed it I went with defaults. I'll look around and see if I can come up with what is autorunning it.

I see the window and not the "pedal"

There is an icon in the system tray for W7FC and when I look at Process Explorer it shows Windows7firewallcontrol.exe
and windows7firewallservices.exe running.

Just looked at msconfig and it shows 2 'Vista-wall extended control for Windows 7 and Vista firewall'
one in registry key
HKLM\software\WOW6432node\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run AND
HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

I assume that is what is telling W7FC to autorun. are both needed?
richocki

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Fri May 03, 2013 4:57 pm

>HKLM\software\WOW6432node\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run AND
HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

Thank you for the investigations.
Most probably you had the 32-bit version installed previously but not removed (uninstalled) correctly.
Actually only one entry is required, i.e.
HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run for 64-bit product installation.

The entry at ..WOW6432nodeā€¦ should be removed.
Please remove the entry and the problem should be solved.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby richocki » Sat May 04, 2013 1:56 am

I thought the syswow64 was where 64bit programs are installed? I have deleted it and will let you know after a few boots if it worked.
Thanks
richocki

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Sat May 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Exactly contrariwise.
syswow64 is the folder to store 32bit application data on 64-bit systems
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby richocki » Sun May 05, 2013 1:16 am

Thank you, I did have that backwards. I deleted the entry WOW6432node in msconfig and I no longer have the window opening up on boot.
W7FC is working and every one is happy :) Thanks for the quick solution to my problem.
richocki

Return to Installation/Deinstallation