Welcome
Welcome to vistafirewallcontrol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Windows 10 Facebook App blocked in free version of wfc

Re: Windows 10 Facebook App blocked in free version of wfc

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:28 pm

>however I've turned Windows Firewall off

WF service is still running though.
Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce the problem on 8.1.0.17. (what OS? Windows 10?, what sub-version?)
Could you please clarify, there may be difference, whether you rebooted after .17 installation(upgrade).
Whether you tried to restart the WF service or switch it off.
Actually the behavior is solely WF related, so we should be sure that WF is in the "initial" state or (optionally) switched off.
Looking forward for the details.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:35 pm

>the rule in wf is still in place, rule is active in wf, and in the correct profile, when wfc is installed the app no longer works, when wfc is uninstalled (only change) the app works, and the app is allowed through wfc. Can use enable all in wfc and app is still blocked.

The problem is not in the blocking rule itself,
WF by default has a more priority rule - AppContainerLoopback that enables 127.0.0.1 for metro apps. If there is no such rule, “Block Inbound Default” blocks the desired communication.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Accidentally there was a point found to polish, hope it helps.
Please try 8.1.0.20 and inform on the results.

EDIT: System restart or WF service restart may be required.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Addendum: I'm experiencing similar behavior with the TeamViewer metro app. Even if I set the software to global "EnableAll" mode the app locks up, & when I check access.log it shows:

2016:12:26|11:33:53|LENOVO-700-11|Blocked|1|IPv4 Metal450 TCP localhost/127.0.0.1:15083(15082)|teamviewertouch.exe|WindowsFirewall: Block Inbound Default Rule Incoming|C:\program files\windowsapps\teamviewer.31414b719fa93_12.0.100.0_x86__89446h4zmeyyt\teamviewertouch.exe

However, Windows Firewall remains switched off, & if I uninstall Windows 10 Firewall Control but make no other changes, it works again (same like Facebook Messenger).
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:52 pm

What's about 8.1.0.20? The same?

> Windows Firewall remains switched off,

The panel is off, but the service is up and running. There is a lot of hidden rules managed by the service automatically.
Block Inbound Default Rule and AppContainerLoopback are just a couple of them.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:58 pm

>>What's about 8.1.0.20? The same?

I just this minute re-downloaded the installer, & it still shows that it's v8.1.0.16: http://screencast.com/t/C1xjN9oDtK. Maybe the download link hasn't been updated?

>>The panel is off, but the service is up and running. There is a lot of hidden rules managed by the service automatically.

Is there a suggested way to *truly* disable Windows Firewall when using W10FC then (other than: http://www.screencast.com/t/3010awqo)?
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:05 pm

What version you have installed?
The facebook/teamview problem definitely exists in 8.1.0.16.
The first related fix was made in 8.1.0.17
8.1.0.20 is here the-latest-betas-releases-t6.html

>Is there a suggested way to *truly* disable Windows Firewal
MyComputer/RightClick/manage/services and apps/services/WindowsFirewall/stop (in the toolbar)
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:03 pm

>>What version you have installed?

I was using 8.1.0.16, because it seemed to be the latest available. Now that I have the alternate download link, installed 8.1.0.20, and it works correctly for both apps :)

>>MyComputer/RightClick/manage/services and apps/services/WindowsFirewall/stop (in the toolbar)

Odd...Right click->Manage causes nothing to pop up (never seen that happen before, & I've used "Manage" many times in the past).
I assume this is the same as stopping it in Services.msc (and I should also "Disable")?
Very weird/stupid of Microsoft that they made Windows "lie" about Windows Firewall being turned off, when in actuality it isn't unless you explicitly kill the service :/
I presume that this is the suggested thing to do when running W10FC, though? (i.e. no sense in having a duplicate firewall running, seems like it would just confuse matters)
metal450

Postby VistaFirewallControl » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:57 pm

>. Now that I have the alternate download link, installed 8.1.0.20, and it works correctly for both apps

Happy to know that.

>>MyComputer/RightClick/manage/services and apps/services/WindowsFirewall/stop (in the toolbar)
>I assume this is the same as stopping it in Services.msc

Precisely.

>(and I should also "Disable")?

For the experiment stopping is enough.
If you find the service stopped for a long time has no side effects (*) there would be a reason to disable the service.
(*)The known fact is WindowsUpdate on Windows10 can’t be performed without the WF service. The subject is being discussed on this forum. If you are curious – welcome.

>Very weird/stupid of Microsoft that they made Windows "lie" about Windows Firewall being turned off, when in actuality it isn't unless you explicitly kill the service :/

Not exactly. You use WF panel to switch WF off. So the panel only is switched off.
No other promises were made.

>I presume that this is the suggested thing to do when running W10FC, though?

W10FC and WF works independently. So WF state is your choice.
The last known (facebook app related) problem was fixed.

> (i.e. no sense in having a duplicate firewall running, seems like it would just confuse matters)

Excepting Windows10+WindowsUpdates.
VistaFirewallControl
Site Admin

Postby metal450 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:14 pm

>>Excepting Windows10+WindowsUpdates.

Ah, yeah that's a problem. I guess I'll just leave it on for now then, and see if any other issues arise, as this Facebook/TeamViewer one was the only one I witnessed so far.

>>Not exactly. You use WF panel to switch WF off. So the panel only is switched off. No other promises were made.

It still strikes me as weird that they provide a way to turn off Windows Firewall, but using it doesn't actually turn off Windows Firewall. Turning something off should turn it off, not say it's "off" but really leave it running & (partially) active such that it still has an effect on filtering the network. But meh, typical Microsoft I guess... :P
metal450

PreviousNext

Return to My App is blocked, What to do